Thursday, February 19, 2009

Girlfriend

I usually refer to Averil Lavigne as “that angy young girl” when discussing her music with my teenage daughter because her songs are all a little “mad”. However, it would appear that she’s far from being angry, is not the teenybopper you would imagine, and is even happily married as of this writing.

While her style of music is far, far from the country band Alabama, Averil Lavigne found a style and has stuck with it to the point that most all of her library of music sounds similar.

I particularly like her song “Girlfriend”…..

Don’t pretend
I think you know I’m damn precious
And how, yeah, I’m the motherfucking princess
I can tell you like me too
And you know I’m right.

Back in 2007, Lavigne was sued along with co-writer Lukasz Gottwald and her record title. The complaint contended the song was plagiarized from the song “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend” performed by The Rubinoos. You can read more about the “p” issue over at this Wikipedia page.

Averil Lavigne’s Myspace page can be found here. Her website can be accessed here, and as of today the video clip is Averil performing “Girlfriend”.

No comments: